Wednesday 17 October 2012

Day 14

A walk down the Corniche (i.e. the "prom") along the Nile to Luxor temple. Nowhere near as large as Karnak, but still massive. Another, I regret to say, big Mac caramel sundae (well it was very hot) and time for me to take up the promise I made nearly 20 years ago that I would go the Winter Place hotel (not, I hasten to add to stay- rooms are up to £1000+ per night) but simply for a drink. We went into the Royal Bar, but were very politely told that we may prefer to sit out in the gardens or by the pool (we had seen the signs saying "no casual wear" etc but hoped that did not refer us - it did!). Still, most enjoyable - how the other half live.

Then back down the Corniche to the Luxor Museum. New building, and contents and layout most impressive. The BBC were filming a two part documentary while we were there but did not wish to interview me - or any of us - for our expert knowledge.

3 comments:

  1. Big Macs! Is no corner of the world untouched?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so lush but hot!! You seem to be coping very well with the heat????

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose when you say how the other half live you mean me at work - but at least you did go to the old Winter Palace rather than the new one!!!!

    ReplyDelete