Sunday 21 October 2012

Day 18 - Aswan


Am killing time before we go to the Sudanese consulate at 09.00 to give us an answer. I see that there have been some comments posted to the blog - many thanks to all, as it is good to know that I do indeed have the occasional reader! I think I have replied by email to all that seemed to need an answer but if I have failed and missed some, could I please ask you to repeat by email ?(bryanhanlon@me.com). Catching up with blog comments is, I can assure you, not easy. Apart from anything else, wifi is at best very patchy and does not last long.

We may have missed out on our fantasies of great big steaks at the Cataract Hotel last night, but ended up in a superb fish restaurant in the back streets of Aswan. I am not sure if you should call it a souk or a bazaar but there is one long street in the centre of Aswan (with a variety of offshoots) which seems to go on for ever. As in Alexandria, it seems you can buy anything here (many times over) - how can all this many gold and jewellery shops survive? Busy during the day, it really comes alive at night.

My backpack needed some attention, so I left it with a local tailor there, who has done a very good job - for thirty pounds! However, as we are talking egyptian, this works out at some £3 so not a bad deal at all. In the UK, you would probably just buy a new one.
----------
Well, it is now after 18.00 and we have spent the whole day in the grotty stairwell of the consulate, and then out on a patch of waste ground, while
Ross our joint leader pleaded for our visas. This I am sure has been the most boring day of my life (worse than 12 hours at Paris CDG airport), and we still do not have them. They have now been "promised" for 09.00 tomorrow but that is cutting it very fine for the ferry (if they have indeed kept our reservations) as we should be on board by 09.30!

I suspect anyway that this will be the last blog from me for quite a few days so if anyone is still reading this, you will have no idea where I am! I am therefore going to send this now while there is (in theory) a connection



No comments:

Post a Comment